Warning: I am not a bio guy, so I will make lots silly errors. But would you come to a blog with the words Time pass in it if you wanted path breaking-Nobel prize winning research?

Hypothesis: The gender of the child is determined by the egg inherently and not by the sperm as is currently stated.

Years ago, in my sex education class, our teacher asked us - So who decides the gender of the child?
"The male partner." Said the kids in chorus.
"Why?" asked the teacher.
"Because of that X, Y, something..." I said (I was a bit of a nerd...still am)
"Good." The teacher said and went on to explain why actually the man is responsible for determining the the sex of the child.

The man has XY chromosomes while the woman has XX. So depending on which of the chromosomes the man contributes to the union creates a baby boy or a baby girl.

I thought, what if it wasnt the man, but the woman who had a choice on what she wanted to receive? I mean, women have always been the choice makers, no? Havent men gone down on their knees to propose through centuries? It is always the woman who says yes or no! Maybe this is the case in genetics as well. 

I was talking to this attractive girl the other day. I put forth this hypothesis and a experiment design that could prove I was right (How charming, no? This is how I am such a hit among the ladies.)

So I put below the Experiment Design below. I dont have the resources or the time to carry out this experiment. It is the task of more nerdy people, the kind who never get called to parties, who have always been first benchers, who never got ahead with the ladies (Right now, each of you is thinking of some person, please forward this blog address to him.).

Design:

Main Experiment:
1. Take twin female new born (basically clones) mice. (Dont ask me how to determine their sex, I have a life)
2. Keep them in identical enclosures, feed them the exact same food, make them listen to the same music etc. i.e. keep the environment the same till they attain puberty.
3. Take twin male new born mice. Repeat step 2.
4. Make Mr.A procreate with Miss A. Make Mr.B procreate with Miss B. Since the boy mice are clones, they will take equal time to get acquainted with the girl mice who are clones in the same time. Give them the exact same time together.

Now, what I think will happen here is, Mr and Mrs.A (now that they are married) will have Baby A and Mr. and Mrs. B will have Baby B. Now, what I am saying is ---

Point I:: Baby A and Baby B will be  of the same gender. Either both boys or both girls. This happens because, both women mice, since they are clones, have the same egg type getting released from their fallopin tubes at the same time. This will bring us closer to proving my hypothesis. If they arent the same gender, then we are screwed. Let's close shop then and go back home.
(Also, you may argue, the same gender phenomena could also be because of clone male mice also. Patience, my friend. We will come to that.)

Point II:: (This is an extension of Einstien's God doesnt not play dice idea) I guess that the genetic make up of Baby A and B will be exactly similar i.e., they will be clones (if we managed to keep the environment constant). This proves that Einstein's idea was right.



Control Experiment:

1. Take twin female new born (basically clones) mice.
2. Keep them in identical enclosures, feed them the exact same food, make them listen to the same music etc. i.e. keep the environment the same till they attain puberty.
3. Take random male mice. Take one from say Germany Mr.G and the other one from Sri Lanka Mr.S, so that they arent related in anyway.
4. Make Mr.G procreate with MissA. Make Mr.S procreate with MissB.

Now, what I think will happen here is,

Point III: Baby G and Baby S (the names of the baby are chosen by the males, its a patriarchal society) will have the same gender. Since they have different fathers, who are in no way related, one would think that their genders would be different. But I reckon, their genders will be the same.

From Point I and III: We will be able to prove, the eggs of the mice have pre-decided what gender they are going to be when they fertilise.

From Point II: We will be able to prove that for the similar egg and similar set of sperms, the genetic make is similar. If we can make the similar approach exact sameness, we will have clones basically, identical brothers from a different mother (and father)

There. Thanks for reading. I hope you have enough questions. Please feel free to ask.





Experiment Design to prove that the female egg determines the gender of the childSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

Related Posts



Current Issues:
 

12 letters to the editor:

    On August 26, 2012 at 5:28 PM     
    Nupur said...

    I'm a bio student and I'm lost!!! I'll go back and read it again!!

    On August 26, 2012 at 8:48 PM     
    Anonymous said...

    hahaaaaaaaaa...you have managed to confuse me and this is supposed to be my forte :P .. just kidding! I think considering your passion for 'challenging scientific topics', you should now write a blog on Y-chromosome deletion :D ... It has been suggested that the Y sex chromosome, which only men carry, is decaying genetically so fast that it will be extinct in five million years' time. Obviously the current generation is in no trouble but i just want to see what your stand is on this :P
    Once again, a well written argument :D ..it is always good to think out of the box... You have 'RE'searched something that has already been searched :D ..nice one!

    On August 27, 2012 at 11:45 AM     
    Anonymous said...

    ya I really read it! and god you're confusing! Though I am not sure what exactly you said I am sure you didn't really prove that hypothesis :):) But don't give up. Try again ! In case you fall short of mice. There are plenty where I live. I am thrilled by your idea that female egg have the right to decide what sex they will become. True women liberalism :)

    Hi! I've nominated you for the Kreative Blogger award! Check out the link http://justanotherwakeupcall.wordpress.com/2012/08/27/rainbows-on-my-windscreen/

    Hi! I've nominated you for the Kreative Blogger award! Check out the link http://justanotherwakeupcall.wordpress.com/2012/08/27/rainbows-on-my-windscreen/

    On August 29, 2012 at 7:14 PM     
    Anonymous said...

    oye hoye www.trickeeg.blogspot.in

    On August 29, 2012 at 7:15 PM     
    Anonymous said...

    oye hoye www.trickeeg.blogspot.in

    On September 2, 2012 at 2:07 PM     
    Anonymous said...

    outstanding work. see you,

    basically the whole fuss was about the gender of the mice?? like seriously??

    btw..i lost you rofl-ing thinking about two mouse getting married...haha..that wud be funny!!

    On September 5, 2012 at 8:54 PM     
    CtS said...

    You really are going in the right way trying to prove your hypothesis. The experiment looks quite legit, provided that we have identical mice (which is practically impossible). Also we need to despise the fact that the process involved in sperm production is through random combination. But here even I cant stop thinking that if both the subjects and the conditions in which they are kept are perfectly identical then the process may not be random. Now laying these conditions we can go forward.

    The 'Main Exp' is irrelevant to what the hypothesis is about. Mating both cloned set of male and female is not going to help. They will obviously give identical offspring. We need to find out who governs the gender selection, male or female. We can design two experiments while increasing the sample size. One experiment with the set of females to be identical while the set of males to be randomly selected and the second experiment with set of males to be identical and the set of females to be randomly selected.
    Now if in the first experiment we see that there is a great gender similarity in the offsprings then we may conlude that females govern the gender selection. However if the results portray randomness then we can move on to the next experiment and if the next experiment shows gender similarity then we may conlude that males govern the gender selection. If no similarity is found in both the experiments then we may say that it totally depends upon the chemistry during the process.
    I would like to add that this is a hypothetical experiment, folks out there don't take it seriously.

    @all
    What this guy Cts ^^^^ says is what I wanted to say. He just did it without confusing...

    Not bad idea